/ Id-Extras Forum / Calculations not working with 4.0Pro Indesign 19.4

• Author
  • #8063 Reply
    Chutney
    Participant

Hi Ariel,

I hope you can help. I dip in and out with FormMaker every 6 months or so for one client and have always found everything to work great. But for some reason, I am having calculation issues with the latest 4.0Pro and Indesign 19.4; when I hit FormMaker in Acrobat I just get zeros.

Because everything has always worked, I figured it was me being rusty, but after removing the custom calculation scripts, and changing them for simplified, or even the basic sum while picking fields, all I get is zeros, and I can’t for the life of me work out why? What stupid thing am I doing? I’ve watched the tutorial video a few times and I can’t see where I’m going wrong.

Many thanks

Chutney

#8064 Reply
      Ariel
      Keymaster

Hi,

Hard to say without seeing the file.

My first guess is that the field names have perhaps changed, but the calculations are still referring to the old names.

It’s also just possible that the calculation order has to be reassigned.

Are you using the latest version of FormMaker (v. 4.0.5). You should. It has a Purge button (under the Documents tab). If the worst comes to the worst, perhaps try purging all fields in the document. You would have to redo the form, but that might be quickest option. But if it’s a very long form I would only do this as a last resort.

If you like, you could email me the file and I’ll try to see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Ariel

#8073 Reply
        Ariel
        Keymaster

Just to follow up — after a screenshare with the OP, we found that the issue was essentially a simple syntax error in the script.

#8074 Reply
          Ariel
          Keymaster

Re. the fonts issue: I don’t have the actual fonts myself, so I can only make some guesses.
            You do need to make sure that:
            (1) The fonts are available in Acrobat as well as InDesign. It’s not good enough if only Indesign can access them. (Once you, the designer, have embedded them with FormMaker, the end user will no longer need them on their system. But you do need to have them available in Acrobat.)
            (2) Some fonts don’t allow themselves to be embedded.
            The way to verify that both issues are not a problem is to open the PDF in Acrobat and manually try to apply the font to a field in the regular Acrobat way. If you find the font available in the list of fonts in Acrobat, that eliminates issue (1), and if you are able to select it and apply it and Acrobat doesn’t show a warning, that eliminates issue (2).

#8075 Reply
            Chutney
            Participant

Hi Ariel,

I was fairly confident the font issue was isolated to the two documents with FormMaker, as I use the same font constantly for the same client and we’ve never had an issue, and the only fields that show the incorrect font, are the calculation fields.

To be sure, I’ve done as you said and checked the simple calculator form within Acrobat, selected the font, and changed it to semibold with no problem. (Error 5 below)

error 5

In preflight, it shows the font problem (error 3 attached.)

error 3

I also opened one of the many other documents I have for the same client, and that shows the same fonts embedded in preflight with no issues. (screengrab – error 6)

error 6

I think that eliminates a generic font available/embed issue within Acrobat, I await your feedback.

Best regards

#8076 Reply
              Ariel
              Keymaster

Thanks for checking.

So, if I’ve understood correctly, even when you embed the font into the calculation field via Acrobat itself, it still shows up as “not embedded” in Preflight?

Whereas in other documents (not PDF forms), the font is properly embedded?

#8077 Reply
                Ariel
                Keymaster

(By the way, I think I’ve got a fix for the Pantone issue… I hope to send you an updated FormMaker (version 4.0.6) soon…)

#8078 Reply
                  Chutney
                  Participant

Hi Ariel,

No, all the other PDFs either created with InDesign or Acrobat with JoannaMT Std are fine, all embedded and editable, no preflight issues at all. With the Simple Calculator form, I can select JoannaMT Std, edit, and change the text in all fields except the calculation fields. When I hit edit PDF they become static, uneditable like an image. Hope that helps

Good news about the Pantone thing, it will keep all the documents common with swatches from the client’s library.

Regards

#8079 Reply
                    Chutney
                    Participant

Hi Ariel,

I’ve just been doing some experimenting to see if I could help narrow down the issue.

I swapped  JoannaMT Std out for  JoannaMT across the whole document as I had both, but no change, still flags a font embed problem in Acrobat preflight.

So, I swapped out the font in the calculation fields to Times New Roman thinking it should be fine as as it’s a PDF standard, but same problem.

So, I purged the document and deleted the calc fields completely, opened it in Acrobat, and added new fields. Ran Preflight – No embed issues at all and that was with the original JoannaMT Std.

From all the results I’m seeing, the embed font error only appears to happen when it has FormMaker calculation fields from Indesign.

Hope it helps.

Regards

#8084 Reply
                      Ariel
                      Keymaster

Thanks for your detective work!

What seems to me to be the issue (and it’s a bug, although arguably more of an InDesign bug than FormMaker) is as follows:

If the font specified in InDesign’s “Buttons and Forms” panel is identical to the font specified by FormMaker, then when FormMaker applies the font in Acrobat, Acrobat doesn’t embed it properly, because InDesign has sort of told it that the font is already embedded (that’s a guess).

But if the fonts are different, then the font is embedded fully and properly in Acrobat by FormMaker.

The problem is that with the latest version of FormMaker, it’s difficult to make them different, because FormMaker forces the font in the Buttons and Forms panel to be the same as the font the user selects in FormMaker (to avoid user confusion).

But it’s not impossible. So, what I recommend, until I release a fix for this, which is now top priority, is as follows:

(1) Apply the desired fonts in InDesign with FormMaker as usual.

(2) Close FormMaker in InDesign.

(3) Select all form fields, and, in the Buttons and Forms panel, select the wrong font, any font you’re not using in the document, and apply it to all form fields in the document.

(4) Deselect everything in InDesign.

(5) Run FormMaker and export the form straight away, without selecting any fields.

I think you should now find that when you run FormMaker in Acrobat, the form fields fonts become fully embedded!

#8085 Reply
                        Ariel
                        Keymaster

I’ve uploaded version 4.0.7.

I tested it on the big form (I swapped Joanna, which I don’t have, for a different font), and everything seems to work ok now: Font embedding, pantones, etc.

In fact, as far as I can tell, the big form now works with the latest version of InDesign (19.4) without modification.

The only issue is that the letters are cut off in the form, because Acrobat vertically-centres fonts in the field. To fix that, you’d either need to make the font size smaller in InDesign, or enlarge the fields…

(But perhaps that’s just with the font I’m testing with. Maybe it’s fine with Joanna?)

#8094 Reply
                          Ariel
                          Keymaster

Just FYI I found another bug in 4.0.7, so I’ve uploaded 4.0.8 now. (Only the InDesign component has changed compared to 4.0.7, the Acrobat script is the same.)

#8097 Reply
                            Ariel
                            Keymaster

Finally, it also turns out the Joanna forbids embedding. So it can’t be used as a PDF form font. Some fonts are like that. If you try to embed Joanna in a form field in Acrobat, Acrobat itself displays the following message:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Tagged: 

Reply To: Calculations not working with 4.0Pro Indesign 19.4
                            Your information: