/ Id-Extras Forum / A clash between Footwork and a Dropwords

• Author
  • #7311 Reply
    T882200
    Participant

I use the Dropword script regularly, and now when I try the Footwork script, I noticed that if you execute the Dropword script after detaching the footnotes, it removes the style of the footnote references, and this creates huge problems later when paging with footwork mismatch Between the references and footnotes, in a way that is very difficult to find later.
      (Yes, I understand on my own that you really need to use Dropwards first and then Footwork, to avoid this problem, but this is not always possible, and sometimes you also have to repair windows extensively afterwards on the fly, and in this way it is still problematic)
      If so, is it possible to fix or add a feature in dropwords so that it does not apply the style of the opening letter to a certain text style? (That is, that I can choose the reference style FootworkMainText, and that it will not change when running Dropword. and this can also be useful for other situations that actually want a different character style in a certain place, instead of the drop character style (which you want in all the other places).

#7319 Reply
      Ariel
      Keymaster

Hi,

is it possible to fix or add a feature in dropwords so that it does not apply the style of the opening letter to a certain text style?

I understand that you’re inquiring about a feature in Dropwords that can prevent the application of a specific text style to the opening letter of a word.

If I’m understanding your question correctly, then yes, Dropword already has that feature available. You don’t need to apply a style to the first word, and to disable it in Dropword, simply uncheck the option that says “Apply this character style to Dropword.”

Another way to avoid this issue is by using Footwork. When you run “Detach” on the footnotes in Footwork, it creates two basic GREP queries – MainText and FootText – that search for a specific character style applied by the Detach operation.

You can modify these GREP queries, specifically the FootText query in your case, to find the beginning of each footnote based on a special paragraph style instead of a character style. You can create a unique paragraph style for the first paragraph of each footnote and then search for a combination of the Dropword character style and the first paragraph style of each footnote.

The most important thing is to create a GREP query that accurately finds the beginning of each footnote and nothing else.

I hope that makes sense.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Tagged: ,

Reply To: A clash between Footwork and a Dropwords
      Your information: