/ Id-Extras Forum / [Footwork] Renumber “Start numbering at” is locked at “1”

• Author
  • #6793 Reply
    Brad

As a result of a client change-order, I have inserted some footnotes in the middle of document and now I need to update the numbering. When I click the “Renumber” button, I am unable to modify the “Start renumbering at” value. It is stuck at “1”. Any thoughts as to what might be going on? Thanks!

#6794 Reply
      ~~Ariel~~
      Participant

Hi Brad,

That’s strange.

What version of InDesign are you on? OS? Footwork version?

And when you say you’re unable to modify the field, why is that? Is the field greyed-out?

Ariel

#6796 Reply
        Old Content
        Participant

Greetings, Ariel and thanks for your reply.

I’m running InDesign 2022 on Windows 10 with Footwork 2.0.8.

The number “1” (default value) first appears in blue colour with the focus, as if it has already been selected and can be modified by typing. However, any attempt to change or delete the value is simply ignored. I.e. nothing happens, except the blue colour disappears.

#6797 Reply
          ~~Ariel~~
          Participant

It’s not happening to me, but I’m on Win 11. I also don’t remember reports of this bug.

Are you able to paste into the field? So say you type the number elsewhere, copy it, then right-click in the field and select paste. Does that work?

#6835 Reply
            Old Content
            Participant

Very weird, but it is working again after restarting my PC. Sorry for the bother! :-(

#6836 Reply
              ~~Ariel~~
              Participant

No problem, glad it’s working!

#6837 Reply
                Old Content
                Participant

Oops! Spoke too soon. It worked OK to renumber 27 documents (out of a 41 document book set), then it suddenly stopped working and refused to let me change the default number again. I’m going to reboot again and keep monitoring this in the hopes of noticing what is triggering this issue.

#6838 Reply
                  Old Content
                  Participant

OK, no need to reboot–just restarted InDesign and Footwork renumbering is working again. I’ll monitor this to see if I’m accidentally hitting some key that’s causing the renumbering to stop working.

#6839 Reply
                    Old Content
                    Participant

After renumbering the footnotes in a few documents, the problem does recur. Restarting InDesign seems to clear the issue. Eventually, I was able to renumber the complete set of documents.

It’s a very weird issue, but restarting InDesign seems to clear the problem for at least a few documents. I cannot discern anything specific that I’m doing that could be triggering this.

If my client requests more changes, I might need to renumber the footnotes again and I’ll see what happens then.

#6850 Reply
                      ~~Ariel~~
                      Participant

Ok. Strange bug, I don’t remember coming across this one!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Tagged: 

Reply To: Reply #6839 in [Footwork] Renumber “Start numbering at” is locked at “1”
                      Your information: