/ Id-Extras Forum / FormMagic issues: fonts and default values overriding user-input!

• Author
  • #6212 Reply
    hearkencreative
    Participant

Strange things happening, Ariel, and I couldn’t find a topic already here that directly addressed the problem that I was having.

The finished form looks great on my Mac as soon as I export the thing, with the exception that some of the typefaces are off a bit (Archer Medium has changed to Archer bold in the editable headers, for instance). These issues I can work around if I need to.

The bigger issue is that the default values are overriding the values that my client inputs on her side. (Technically, this is not a “form” — it’s more of an editable template for the sales director to drop her own pricing into at will.) On my Mac (the same one that made the editable PDF), I can edit and save as a new file with no problem. As soon as I send the file to her, she opens it with Acrobat on a PC and she types in her new prices and as soon as she clicks into another field, the just-edited field reverts to the default value.

My troubleshooting skills failed me on this one. Options I thought of:
      – The file resides on an intranet shared drive, instead of her local hard drive…maybe?
      – Difference between PC and Mac Adobe Reader? Don’t think so.
      – Maybe I should build the files without the default values input? But I’d like for them to see how it will look before she adds her pricing.

Any help would be appreciated.

#6455 Reply
      ~~Ariel~~
      Participant

Hi Loren,

Ignoring the font issue for the moment, I opened the PDF on my Windows 10 machine and everything seems fine. I’m able to type values into the various fields and they “stick”, they don’t revert to any default value.
        So I guess the question is, Are you sure your client is opening the file in Adobe Reader and not some other PDF reader software? For reliable results, it should be opened only in the free Adobe Reader.
        You imply that she is, but have you double-checked?
        Otherwise, I’m somewhat out of ideas. Maybe a screen recording of what happens when she types stuff into the fields will give a clue…

Ariel

#6456 Reply
        ~~Ariel~~
        Participant

P.S. regarding the font issue, the Archer font family does not allow itself to be embedded in a PDF form field, so it’s not a good choice here unless you can be sure that all your end users will have that font installed.

The easiest way to know whether a font will be embedded in the PDF with FormMagic (or FormMaker), is to try and apply it to a text field in Acrobat manually.
          When you do this, if it cannot be embedded Acrobat will display a warning saying that the font cannot be embedded.
          If Acrobat can’t embed the font, neither can FormMagic.

Ariel

#6457 Reply
          ~~Ariel~~
          Participant

P.S. regarding the font issue, the Archer font family does not allow itself to be embedded in a PDF form field, so it’s not a good choice here unless you can be sure that all your end users will have that font installed.

The easiest way to know whether a font will be embedded in the PDF with FormMagic (or FormMaker), is to try and apply it to a text field in Acrobat manually.
            When you do this, if it cannot be embedded Acrobat will display a warning saying that the font cannot be embedded.
            If Acrobat can’t embed the font, neither can FormMagic.

Ariel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: Reply #6456 in FormMagic issues: fonts and default values overriding user-input!
          Your information: