/ Id-Extras Forum / Get Text Variable

• Author
  • #6168 Reply
    Wonderboy
    Participant

This Extract Pages script is perfect for what i need, but i ran into an issue. I have a document with multiple pages. Each page has a text variable that when intersecting with a image or PDF will display the files name.

When i run the script and export, the files end up being named TEXT_VARIABLE-1.PDF. What i need is the file to be name image_1234.PDF

Is there a way to save the file with image_1234.PDF instead of TEXT_VARIABLE-PDF?

#6314 Reply
      ~~Ariel~~
      Participant

Hi,
        I think to get this to work you would have to first convert all the text variables in your document to static text. Make a temporary copy of your document, perhaps, convert the variables, and then run Extract Pages on that.
        There is a script floating around that can help converting all variables in all open documents to static text. Haven’t tried it myself, but sounds like it works: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/select-every-variable-text-frame-and-turn-it-to-static/m-p/9657361
        Ariel

#6315 Reply
        Wonderboy
        Participant

yeah that is what i was afraid of. I did mess around with some stuff and basically converted all text in specific paragraph style to a static text. then i can edit the text and remove the file extension. then using your export script, export using the paragraph style setting. thanks for the reply

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        Reply To: Reply #6314 in Get Text Variable
        Your information: