/ Id-Extras Forum / Mastermatic table reflow

• Author
  • #6164 Reply
    deesaf
    Participant

First off, I have to thank you for developing this script. It has improved my workflow tremendously and saved countless hassles and headaches.

Now, I’d appreciate your help with an issue that I’m experiencing with tables. I have a table that runs across several text frames/pages in a book.

I’m dealing with two particular master pages in my document: A-Master, with running headers, and that I use for the body pages; BL-Blank, which I’ve set up to apply to all pages without content, and doesn’t include running headers.

For some reason, Mastermatic applies my “blank” master page to the three pages that my table passes through (as the setting will apply it to pages w/o text), but since it has a text frame, I would expect it to apply A-Master.

How do you suppose I work through this issue?

#6302 Reply
      ~~Ariel~~
      Participant

Hi,
        Glad to hear you’re finding Mastermatic useful! It is a great script.
        I’m afraid that for now Mastermatic cannot recognize a text frame that only has the continued part of a table as being not blank.
        So, if all there is in the frame is a continued part of table, Mastermatic sees that frame, wrongly, as empty. If the beginning or the end of the table is there, it would be fine.
        This is based on a bug in InDesign scripting: Asking InDesign how many characters there are in such a frame gives an answer of 0.

The only workaround I can suggest for now is to apply an object style to those frames (which isn’t so useful, because the table can slip past the frames if you add text before), or possibly to anchor a blank frame to some of the rows in the table with a specific object style. Then set Mastermatic to apply whatever master page you want to the anchored object’s style.
        I think that would work.

Ariel

#6303 Reply
        deesaf
        Participant

Thank you. I’ll give it a shot!

#6304 Reply
          deesaf
          Participant

The anchored object trick didn’t seem to work for me. I was able to make it work by breaking up the table into four or five smaller tables, each with enough rows to fill a frame.

#6305 Reply
            ~~Ariel~~
            Participant

I’ll have to check out why the anchored object idea doesn’t work. I would have thought it should. If I figure anything out I’ll post back.
              Thanks,
              Ariel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            Reply To: Reply #6305 in Mastermatic table reflow
            Your information: