New! Version 2 Now Out!
Version 2 of the popular Fit Text script is a complete rewrite of the original script.
- 100% compatible with InDesign’s data merge. Create a data-merged document and make sure everything fits with 1 click!
- Three modes of operation: Only shrink text to fit, only enlarge text to fit, or shrink and enlarge as needed.
- Make all the text in an entire story of threaded text frames fit!
- Fit by object styles: Run the script, select an object style from the new dropdown, and all text frames with that style applied will be changed!
- Or… select multiple frames and run the script. It will now work on all selected frames!
- Works with text frames that have been rotated, sheared, and/or flipped!
- Works even if graphics with text wrap collide with any of the frames.
- Drastic speed improvements!
Why is it better than the free scripts?
There are a few free scripts out there that will also fit text to a given frame.
Fit Text works very differently to the free scripts. Apart from the extra features (such as running it on an object-style basis, fitting text to an entire story of threaded frames, etc), and the support you get from a commercial product, Fit Text to Frame is fundamentally different
It does not just increase or decrease the size of text. It resizes everything proportionally, including indents, space before and after, leading, tabs, inline graphics, paragraphs, and just about anything that can be put in an InDesign text frame.
There is no free script out there that even comes close!
How It Works
Fit Text will fit your text to the size of the text frame it’s in. If there is room, it will enlarge the text as much as possible to fit within the text frame. It is a complete InDesign copyfitting solution.
The script will also reduce the text if there is overset text, to ensure that all the text fits into the frame.
Text is NOT distorted. It is simply enlarged or reduced by the precise amount necessary to make it as large as possible within the text frame, or to make it just small enough so that it all fits within the text frame.
Fit Text now works on entire InDesign stories. If you’ve got a limited amount of space, but must get all the provided copy into that space, run Fit Text and all the text will be reduced just the right amount to make it fit in the available space.
Likewise, if the last frame of a story is half empty, run Fit Text and all the text will be enlarged just enough to fill the frames.
If you miss CorelDraw’s text-fitting feature and would like to see it in InDesign, this is the script for you!
Video Tutorial: Fit Text to Frame and Data Merge