Hassle-free interactive PDF forms straight out of InDesign
If you or your team spend time creating interactive PDF forms in InDesign, you may remember with a groan the moment it registered that designing functional and elegant form fields with carefully chosen fonts, color and default text is a waste of time because this formatting does not survive the trip from InDesign to Acrobat! All formatting must be reapplied in Acrobat, and if any edits are made to the original form in InDesign, the cycle must be repeated – again and again.
FormMagic restores sanity to this process! With FormMagic, design the form exactly as needed in InDesign, freely including font formatting, text alignment, and default form field text (even Acrobat comb fields are supported!). Ready? Export the interactive form to Acrobat, and FormMagic ensures that all these details are restored with one click!
1. Here’s what a simple sample form with two text fields might look like in InDesign.
2. Here’s what the same form will look like after it is exported from InDesign and opened in Acrobat without FormMagic. The formatting in the two blue form fields that was there in InDesign has been lost.
3. After running FormMagic on this form in Acrobat, here’s what it looks like.
The formatting is restored, and the PDF form looks like it did in InDesign!
How to Use FormMagic
After you’ve downloaded and installed FormMagic (see below), create and style your interactive form in InDesign.
1. Run the FormMagic script in InDesign (double-click on it in the Scripts panel). If all is well, you will see an alert saying that the data has been successfully stored.
2. Continue by exporting the PDF form from InDesign as usual for interactive PDF forms, and open in Acrobat. In Acrobat, select the new FormMagic command (Edit>FormMagic – it’s a new entry at the bottom of the Edit menu).
Finished! All the formatting and styling you applied to your form in InDesign is restored to the interactive PDF form in Acrobat Pro!
3. When the interactive PDF is ready for distribution, optionally run the “Purge FormMagic data” command at the bottom of the Edit menu in Acrobat. This will purge FormMagic data from the PDF, thereby reducing the final PDF file size.
Download the Free Edition of Form Magic
Click here to download FormMagic Free Edition and give it a test drive.
The Free Edition is identical to the Pro edition, except that it is limited to a single-page form, and up to 10 form fields only.
In the download package of FormMagic you will find a text file called “Installation Instructions.” Follow these instructions carefully. They will tell you how to install FormMagic on your computer.
If you need help installing FormMagic on your computer, please contact us.
If you have installed the two FormMagic scripts correctly, by copying them to the correct folders on your computer, you will see a new entry in your InDesign scripts panel called FormMagicFree, and in Acrobat you will see a new entry at the bottom of the Edit menu called “FormMagic”.
What formatting is restored by FormMagic?
FormMagic restores the font, size, color, alignment, and default text to the form fields in your interactive PDF. For rich text fields, it also restores superscript, subscript, strikethrough and underline formatting.
It can be used with rich text fields, regular text fields, combo boxes and list boxes.
Additionally, you can create combs in InDesign with FormMagic. What is a comb? It’s a type of form field where each character is separated by a vertical line, and you can type only one character per box, like this:
To create a comb in InDesign, create a form text field and separate the text inside the field with the vertical bar character (it looks like this: |). It will be converted to a comb field in Acrobat when you run FormMagic!
Click here to see an example of how FormMaker was used to convert a user’s input into all-capital letters (just one of limitless possibilities).
Please contact us for more details, a demo version and a quote.
FormMagic is available in 2 editions:
FormMagic Free works with single-page InDesign documents and up to 10 form fields. Click here to download FormMagic Free Edition.
FormMagic Pro ($149.00) works with forms of any length.
To purchase FormMagic Pro click the “Buy Now” button. Your product and serial numbers will be available for instant download when you complete the purchase.
If you are not satisfied with FormMagic for any reason, simply let us know within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.