Page Numbers to Words
Some publications require page numbers to be written out. Page Numbers to Words makes it easy and practical to replace or complement InDesign’s page numbers with written-out page numbers in any language.
Page Numbers to Words works with all versions of InDesign from CS5.5 up to InDesign 2022, on Windows and Mac computers.
- Place a text frame on any master page or regular page, run the script, and the active page number will be inserted into the text frame.
- Works with individual InDesign documents or all documents in an InDesign book.
- Use absolute or section numbering.
- Supply a text file with the page numbers written out in any language. Page Numbers to Words will use the text in this file to number the pages.
- Create a custom numbering scheme. For instance, give both pages of a spread the same number.
- On any master pages where you want written-out numbers to appear, add a text frame.
- Create a new object style. Call it “Page Numbers” (you may call it anything you like; this is just a suggestion).
- Apply the object style to the text frame/s you created in step (1) above.
- Optionally, add text frames anywhere else in the document where you would like written-out numbers to appear and apply the object style to these as well.
- Save a plain text file (with a .txt) extension in the same folder as the InDesign file you would like to add written-out page numbers to. The text file must be called “PageNumberList.txt” (this name is case sensitive; do not include the quote marks and do not add extras space to the file name). This text file should contain the written-out page numbers, one per line. There should be at least as many written-out page numbers in the text file as there are pages in the InDesign file. A sample text file that includes all the numbers from 1 to 10,000 written out in English is included with the script (and also with the Trial version).
- Run the script by double-clicking on it in InDesign’s Scripts panel.
- From the dropdown list, select the object style you created in step (2) above.
- Decide whether you wish to use absolute numbers or section numbering (see the documentation for the difference between the two) and click OK.
That’s it! Page Numbers to Words will fill all text frames that have the selected object style applied to them with the appropriate written-out number from the accompanying PageNumberList.txt file.
If pages move around and things change, just run Page Numbers to Words again. Your choice of object style and numbering scheme are stored alongside the document, so it’s easy to rerun the script.
For full documentation with examples for Page Numbers to Words click here.
A trial version can be downloaded here. Every 5th page will be replaced with the word “DEMO”. In all other respects, the trial is identical to the full version, so you can get a real feel for how the script works and whether it suits your needs.
To purchase the full version of Page Numbers to Words for only $49, click the “Buy Now” button. Your product and serial numbers will be available for instant download when you complete the purchase.
If you are not satisfied with Page Numbers to Words for any reason, simply let us know within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.