/ Id-Extras Forum / Images above Form Fields (FormMaker)

• Author
  • #7831 Reply
    Natai
    Participant

I recently started using FormMaker, and I’m pleased so far.  Now I’ve run into an issue that seems to be tied to how PDF forms are displayed by default, and I’m wondering if there is a workaround.

Basically, I’ve created a multipage form, which includes image fields on a couple of pages.  All of my fields are on the second layer of the document.  Nearly everything else (images, tex, etc.) is on the first layer, below the fields.  What I’m hoping to accomplish is to add a transparent image in a third layer (on top of the first and second), so that you can look through that image and see the content of the fields beneath.  Effectively make a watermark on top if an image form field.

However, it appears the Acrobat always displays form fields on top of everything else, regardless of what layer they are on.  Is there any way to get an image to display on top of a form field (and still have that field editable), or am I completely prevented from doing this by the implementation of PDF files?

#7833 Reply
      Ariel
      Keymaster

Hi Natai,

I’m really not sure about this, and if you’ve done some experimenting and are seeing the results you describe, you probably know more than I do. As a final testing step, try exporting the interactive PDF from InDesign without FormMaker, just to see if you can get it to work. I don’t think there should be a difference, but you never know.

Having said that, if I had a better idea of what you’re trying to achieve, I might be able to suggest a workaround. For instance, you could create an image field (a button) as the third, transparent layer, and have, for it’s image, a faded out field. Then, with some simple Javascript (and possibly this is even doable natively with an InDesign field action), you could set it so that the button disappears when clicked, revealing the true field beneath it.

Again, whether this, or something else, would work would depend on what exactly you’ve trying to achieve…

#7835 Reply
        Natai
        Participant

Thanks for the response Ariel.

I’m making a form-fillable document for a game. The end user opens the form, enters their character’s name and a photo (using the form fields) and then prints the document out.  I’m trying to simulate the look of a rubber stamp on top of the photo, overlapping on to the document.  I initially tried with a transparent stamp on a layer on top of the layer with the form fields.  But it appears Acrobat always displays the form fields on top, regardless of layer.  So the photo appeared on top of the stamp.

I have figured out a way to make it work, but hopefully it can be improved on.

I’m using two image fields.  One for the photo and one for the stamp, with the stamp field on the top layer.  Since both are form fields, Acrobat respects which one is on top.

But having to load two images to get the effect could end up making this a little complicated for the end user.  I’m thinking to help with that I can have the stamp image preloaded, essentially a default entry in the image field.

It’s easy to set default values for text fields in FormMaker, but is it possible to set the default for image fields?

#7836 Reply
          Ariel
          Keymaster

I’m using two image fields. One for the photo and one for the stamp, with the stamp field on the top layer. Since both are form fields, Acrobat respects which one is on top.

Ok, that’s clever!

But having to load two images to get the effect could end up making this a little complicated for the end user. I’m thinking to help with that I can have the stamp image preloaded, essentially a default entry in the image field.

It’s easy to set default values for text fields in FormMaker, but is it possible to set the default for image fields?

Sure! Image fields are actually just buttons. You can place any graphic you like in InDesign and turn it into a button. So I think if you just turn your rubber-stamp graphic into a button in InDesign it should work.

#7837 Reply
            Natai
            Participant

Perfect!  And impressively simple.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Tagged: 

Reply To: Images above Form Fields (FormMaker)
            Your information: